Home » Uncategorized » Welcoming the New King

Welcoming the New King

I can’t remember if I wrote yesterday or not, but this is the 15th, one day after the birth of Isaac Theoden Archer, born 9:03 AM on March 14th, 2005. If I haven’t posted yesterday, I’ll put a picture up for the day’s post. If I have, I’ll post one today. Right now I’m in the hospital with Julie and Isaac, and I didn’t bring my camera’s cable, so I’ll have to wait until I run home this afternoon and get resupplied (Isaac spit up on all the shirts I brought already, so it’s time for a reload.)
Let me just say that even though I’ve been through this once before, this was such an incredible experience to witness, and I think due to a number of factors, but first off that Julie and I had both been through this before, we’re really totally present to the experience and I really got to enjoy it fully.
I’ll let Julie tell you in her blog all the details of the experience, because she has earned the honors, but I’ll just give you the highlights. 11:38 PM on Sunday, Julie’s water broke, waking her up and causing her to vault out of bed, which of course woke me up and left me all discombobulated for a good hour or so. Yes, I know — it’s amazing I was in bed so early, but when you’re resting up for a baby, you take all the opportunities you can to rest. Julie had been having contractions every 8-10 minutes for the previous two days, but none of those were so painful that she couldn’t function or sleep, so that’s exactly what she did — function and sleep. So, yeah — her water broke, and at about 12:11, the real contractions started — the ones that were so painful that she had no question of whether or not she was truly in labor. I, being the father and the resident Virgo, started charting the times and durations immediately. At around 12:50, her contractions started stabilizing at the famous 5:1:1 pattern (five minutes apart, one minute in duration, for one hour), and she continued like that for several hours at home until she finally opted to head into the hospital around 3:30 AM, by which time the contractions were coming every 3-4 hours. We got to the hospital and checked in around 4:15, and Julie kicked some major rock star ass and went from a 3 cm to an 8 cm in 3 hours. Julie stuck at 8 cm, and was having some bad back pain due to a transversal (Isaac was coming down sideways), and also the boy’s heartbeat would decrease during every contraction (because as we found out later, the cord was wrapped around his neck) for a few hours, but pushed through (literally) and got Isaac out by 9:03 AM.
There is so much to talk about on this subject, expect it to fill the next weeks and most likely months of blogspace.

Be Sociable, Share!